Classic English Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
A Victoria Sponge Cake is so easy to make but looks so sophisticated when finished!
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 200 butter
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Strawberry Jam or Homemade jam is good too 🙂
- 300 ml double cream (heavy cream/whipping cream)
- 1 vanilla bean pod (or vanilla extract)
- Making the cream filling:
- Take the vanilla beans out of the pod and whip it with the heavy cream until it thickens once it has thickened refrigerate till needed.
2. Making the cakes
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees
- Mix the butter and sugar sugar together until well combine
- add the eggs ONE AT A TIME, making sure each of them are incorporated
- add vanilla extract
- Sift in your dry ingredients: Baking powder and flour
In two equal sized round tins evenly share the batter before baking in your preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes
After baking allow the cakes to fully cool then take them out of their tins. This next step is a little like making a sandwich. Add a layer (a generous layer) of jam and a generous layer of the cream you made onto the bottom of the first cake and place the other cake right side up on top of the cream. Here you have it, a quick and delicious Victoria Sponge Cake!