French Food:Croque monsieur Recipe
French Cuisine is known to be technical and often a challenge but don’t worry, Croque Monsieur is a sandwich anyone could make, perfect for cheese lovers.
The Béchamel Sauce
- 30g Unsalted butter
- 30g plain flour
- 250-300ml Milk
- 1tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
Method for the Béchamel Sauce:
- In a Medium- Low pot met your butter
- Once melted add the flour and stir until the mixture thickens
- Add 1/4 of the total Milk into the pot and stir it in until this mixture thickens
- You can now add the rest of the milk along with the bay leaf, the nutmeg and the salt and pepper
- Ensure you are stirring all of this until the sauce thickens (as shown in the video below)
- Take the sauce off the heat and cover it up so the sauce does not dry out whilst you are assembling the Croque Monsieur
Croque Monsieur Ingredients
- Béchamel Sauce
- Slices of Bread
- Butter spread
- Ham or Chicken slices
- Grated Cheeses of your choice: Cheddar Cheese, Emmental, Conté cheese,
Assembling the Croque Monsieur Method:
- Take two bread slices and butter each of them on one side only.
- Turn on of the slice over and cover it with Béchamel Sauce
- Place your chosen meat slice on top of the sauce and cover the meat with your grated cheeses
- You can now cover the cheese with the other bread slice, Butter side up.
- On a Medium- High Pan Toast both sides of the sandwich then choose one side of the sandwich on which you will put more Béchamel Sauce and more grated cheese.
- Once you have done that place the sandwich on a oven tray and grill it until the grated cheese on top has completely melted
Serve Warm with some Salad.Enjoy!