Kolokithoftedes Recipe (Zucchini meatballs)
I love discovering recipes from anywhere around the world and I was pleasantly surprised with greek recipes, so today’s recipe is simple quick and beautifully refreshing, like a lot of greek food I have seen. This recipe will make a good amount of zucchini meatballs and do not worry, if you are vegan there is NO MEAT AT ALL. Kolokithoftedes tastes great with tzatziki sauce. Here is the recipe…
- 4 zucchinis (or however many are left in your fridge)
- 2 eggs
- 150g feta cheese
- Handful of mint
- 190g breadcrumbs
- 4 green onions (aka. scallions)
- 1tbsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Grate zucchini and place in a strainer, Your can now salt it with (1 and 1/4 tsp of salt) mix the salt in and let the zucchini drain its water out for 30-60 minutes
- Finely slice green onions and make sure you have washed them
- Chop the fresh mint leaves ensuring you have washed these too
- In a mixing bowl add the breadcrumbs, mint, green onions, red pepper flakes and pepper
- Crumble your feta cheese and add it in
- Go back to the zucchini that had bee draining and squeeze the remaining water out of the zucchini using a towel or your hands
- add the dried out zucchini to the mixing bowl and mix everything together
- Now you can taste the mixture and adjust the salt seasoning before adding in the 2 eggs
- After adding the eggs to the mixture mix them in well and your zucchini balls are ready for frying!
- Over medium to high heat place a pan with enough oil to cover you chose size of meatballs. 5 minutes of frying should be fine otherwise fry the meatballs until nice and crispy gold. Smaller meatballs tend to break more easily therefore I recommend making yours large.
You can serve this with tzatziki sauce or any other sauce you may like as an appetiser. I hope you and your family enjoy these as much as me and my family did!
In case you liked this recipe you may want to check out Akis Petretzikis on Youtube, i got this recipe from his channel!