With Ramadan 2021 just around the corner recipes like this one will come in handy…
Harira is a soup which originates from the Maghreb which consists of North African countries. This Harira recipe is Moroccan, however, you can also have different soups such as Chorba which can be made the Algerian or Tunisian way. Having soup during this time of the year is a great way to not be thirsty during Ramadan.
Of course you can accompany your soup with some side dishes such as; Moroccan Potato Fritters (Maakouda) or Baked filled pastries (Bourek.) Alternatively if you enjoy having bread with your soup the options are many! From Msemen to Moroccan Batbout, which is a thick and fluffy bread. Having bread with your soup will fill you up so you won’t feel hungry during your day of fast!
Hopefully you will enjoy this recipe… Ramadan Mubarak Everyone!
- 250 g Lamb (Shoulder) Diced
- 250 g Chickpeas soaked in water overnight
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 tbsp Smen Alternative: add vegetable oil + 1 tbsp of Margarine together
- 100 g lentils
- 50 g Cilantro
- 4 Large juicy tomatoes (300g)
- 150 g Tomato Purée
- 50 g Flour
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cube Chicken Stock
- Pinch Saffron or Turmeric
- 50 g Rice
- 100 g Broken Vermicelli
- 1 Celery Stick
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 50 g Parsley
- 2 Litres Water
- Finely chop the onions, parsley, cilantro and celery
- Mix the Tomatoes, which can be canned or boil the tomatoes for a few seconds until the skin peals off
- In a pot cook the diced lamb shoulder until it cooks before adding the chopped onions , parsley, cilantro and celery
- Add spices the spices; salt, pepper, ginger, saffron, turmeric, cinnamon, chicken stock cube
- Drain the water from the chickpeas you soaked overnight before adding them to the pot
- Add 2 litres of water and allow it to cook for 30 minutes (with lid)
- Add the lentils as well as the mixed tomatoes before allowing to cook for 20 minutes
- Dilute the Flour and the tomato purée in a bowl of water before adding the mixture to the pot and gently stirring for 10 minutes. Add the uncooked rice and broken vermicelli and allow it to cook for 15 minutes with the lid open, stirring occasionally until the rice and the vermicelli are cooked
Why Soak Chickpeas Overnight?
Soaking chickpeas overnight is done to soften them before boiling/ adding them into a hot dish. Chickpeas are not easily broken down in your body so soaking overnight them before adding to a dish will make it easier for you to digest. You should rinse canned chickpeas to make the easier to digest.
Which Lentils Should I Use For This Soup?
Red lentils are the easiest type to cook and are most used for soups and curries so you can use red lentils for Harira. The choice is really yours; green or brown lentils are just as great!
Since it’s rich in fibre, protein but most importantly water Harira soup is healthy! Harira soup is halal, it all depends on where you purchase the meat from.
Can I add Some Spice to Harira?
Of course! If you like spicy food then you could add harissa to the soup. Harissa is a typical Tunisian hot-pepper paste mixture with spices and herbs mixed into it to deepen its flavour. It’s a great addition to lots of meals and can easily be made at home.