Batbout is an easy moroccan flatbread that warm and filling, batbout is similar to pita bread and can be eaten alongside soups or used to make sandwiches. The size of the batbout depends on how big you want it… This recipe is easy and straight forward we hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups Plain Flour 260g
- 1.5 cups (Fine) Semolina 192g
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Instant yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 cups Warm Water 470ml
- In a mixing bowl or a hand mixer place your flour, semolina and salt
- Since we're using yeast we have to activate it first by placing the yeast in a cup or bowl with the sugar and a little bit of the warm water. The video in this post can show you this 😉
- Let the yeast mixture sit for about 10 minutes
- Once ready add the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients and knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with the dough in it for 1 hour so it can rise
- After 1 hour sprinkle some of the flour and semolina over your work top so that it does not stick on to the table when you cut the dough into circles.
- Once you've shaped the dough into smaller circles flatten them out slightly and keep them covered so the dough doesn't dry out whilst you wait for your pan to warm up over medium heat
- There is no need to oil the pan! Just make sure it's a non-stick pan, you can just put the dough over the heat allowing the outside of the dough to cook, it should look and have a nice golden-brown look
What Is Semolina?
Semolina is made from durum wheat which is also used to make couscous and some pasta. Semolina can be used to make a variety of things such as; Baghrir (Moroccan semolina pancakes), Yoghurt Cake, and even semolina pudding!
A gluten-free substitute for semolina is Cornmeal as it is made from maize. Cornmeal is used to make dishes like the Italian dish Polenta.If you were looking for pasta substitutes cornmeal is a great option too!
Where do I find Semolina?
You should be able to find semolina in your local grocery store in the grain section or in the baking section next to the flours. You can also order semolina from here.
Why do you need to Activate Yeast?
The process of activating yeast just means that you are adding water ( a liquid) and often sugar to it. Activating yeast ensures it’s still alive and can be used in you cooking and baking things like cakes, breads and batbout 😉